Can you survive on just honey? Quickly explained.

Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

If you only had honey available to survive, for example if you were stranded on a lonely island with a huge container full of honey from the supermarket, then you would end up pretty bad: Because honey alone will not be enough to survive healthily in the long run.

So hong long could you survive on just honey?

You could probably survive on honey alone for about 5 days, after which you would probably die of lack of water with about 8 jars of honey a day. With water that would be about 24-25 days, only with water about 21 days.

Source: https://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/how-long-can-you-live-without-food

First of all, it is important to know that honey itself hardly offers the nutrients you need per day. Including calories, fiber, carbohydrates, vitamins and more. Honey is just not made for surviving in the long run, as it mostly consists of water and a few other things like glucose, fructose and sugar.

Just 0.5% of a pack of honey is actually of nutritional benefit for our body, the other 99.5% is for your body as if you had just consumed water with sugar. Funfact: Even bees cannot survive on their own honey.


The fructose would probably not be really healthy in the long run, even if you already have other problems at the time when you decided to live on honey only. Your teeth would suffer from the sticky sugar and you would most probably get karius. The honey would have negative effects on your blood sugar and your immune system. Honey in itself is hardly enough to strengthen your immune system so that you are safe from infections. Which can be very bad, especially on an island where it can happen that you accidentally get injured somewhere.

Honey is also totally unsuitable as a diet, which I already explained in the previous text, but here again briefly summarized: A diet requires a varied food intake, it must be edible over the long term, and the calories you consume should only be minimally reduced the normal consumption of a person per day in order to lose weight. In addition, it must contain sufficient vitamins and should be varied. That’s kind of how dieting works.


As you have probably already noticed, honey would hardly be suitable for this, it does not even begin to have everything the body needs per day, it is not edible in the long term and one-sided, it also falls into the category “Jo-Jo effect” (that means that while you would lose weight for a while eating something, you would gain weight rapidly after eating normal again). So your body would fall into a kind of nuisance while consuming honey only, in that old reserves are used up, and it starts to digest you itself.

In conclusion, it can be said that honey in itself is not enough to survive, is more than unsuitable for a diet, but in addition to an otherwise normal consumption, due to the very few carbohydrates, is definitely suitable as a snack for in between.

Recent Posts